Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Cooking with Style

Here in my apartment kitchen I've created a warm, cottagey feeling to ward off that sterile cookie cutter look. Using harmonious shades of green, red, and yellow along with plenty of fresh white, keeps this room in sync with the rest of the apartment.

The biggest style maker in this room is the use of an old kitchen cabinet that has traveled with me from home to home and been painted in the crackle finish I love. In other lives, it has served as a bookshelf and as craft room storage. Here, it sits on the breakfast bar that faces my living room and provides not only additional storage but serves as a room divider. The white picket fence in my living room backs up to it! One of these days, I'll paint that white too. I added cup hooks and some molding around the sides and removed a few of the shutter doors.


On the corner of the breakfast bar, I have a little vignette consisting of a sweet lamp with a painted shade, bought for $5.00 at an overstock store, a little painted stool, an old tin, and a floral arrangement. The French style button topiary with the red gingham bow was made by me especially for this space and it's sister is for sale in my Etsy shop. http://TheParisian.etsy.com
I love having a small lamp in the kitchen, especially for late at night when jarring bright lights aren't needed for that midnight cup of tea.
The old style wooden drying rack is functional and fits the decor nicely.

My collection of vintage kitchen tools graces the walls near the stove. All the pieces are wooden handled and painted in a soft shade of farmhouse green, my favorite! I kept with the rustic feel of the implements by using plain old wire to attach the rolling pics to the wall. A farmhouse picture and lots of wood and painted accessories complete the look. Having an old crock next to the stove to hold cooking utensils is handy and yet, esthetically pleasing. Up above, plants, an old enameled dutch oven and even a vintage tin lamb cake mold dressed with a sweet ribbon draw the eye around the room.

A thrift store sunflower painting and my Parisian replica clock add to the farmhouse feel down at the other end of the room. The old enameled breadbox is perfect for storage with style and the paper towel holder was a favorite find at T.J. Maxx for less than $10.00

Surrounded by my favorite things, even scrubbing pots and pans is less of a chore and a great way to utilize my collections!

1 comment:

  1. Simply breathless! Your kitchen truly showcases your talent! Very lovely!

    ReplyDelete